‘ Mommy can you tell me a story ? Daddy please can you tell me a story? ‘ This is how you pesterd your parents when you were a kid. ‘ I’ll tell you a story. Run and come to me ! ‘ said the voice of your grandpa or your grandma. From being story tellers , parents , teachers , best friends there isn’t a role that your grandparents haven’t played. From building a family of love , to teaching traditions and values and finally becoming a role model grandparents make a great impact in all of our lives. The kisses and hugs , the love and compassion they pour on their grandchildren has no bounds.
As they say old people are grown babies , they find an attachment to their grandchildren. As parents they get immense joy when they get their hands on their baby. They travel down the path of parenthood and grow their children with utmost care and affection. By the time they have a grandchild the whole process of parenting is replayed. From being parents , they become grandparents holding that bundle of joy all over again. It’s like they get a second opportunity to start fresh and they do it with heart melting love and affection. You won’t understand their importance , until when they step in when a child is ill or a grandchild is born.
So now it’s time for payback. Being grandchildren show how much you love your grandparents through your actions.
• RESPECT THEIR EXPERIENCE : Grandparents talk about their journey in life – the triumphs and failures they faced. Do not take them for granted. Know that they are your life’s greatest lessons.
• DON’T COMPLAIN : Remember the old days when they got you everything you pointed at , unlike your parents? With the same compassion carry out the duties of a grandchild without complaining.
• CALL FREQUENTLY : As grandparents tend to take certain medical treatments they may get worried about their health issues. Talking to their grandchildren will be a perfect medicine for them at this time. Offer a listening ear , talk to them , laugh and play with them.
• BE SUPPORTIVE : As grandchildren it’s your duty to help them out and be supportive. Discuss what happened at school / work. Ask them their opinions. Listen when they speak without interrupting. Tell how much you love them and care for them.
• STOP CRITICIZING : Grandchildren usually tend to mock their grandparents that they are old school and don’t understand the ways of the world. You should stop it and respect them not only for their age but also for the role they have played in your life. Even if you can’t accept what they tell you at least don’t judge / criticize.
• REPAY THEM : By repaying it doesn’t mean repaying with money. Did they charge you with money for taking care of you? For growing you ? Repay them with small acts of kindness if not huge sacrifices.
• CLOSE BY OR FAR AWAY : All of us don’t get to stay with grandparents. It doesn’t matter if you are with them or away from them. Always make it a point to visit them , stay with them , spend time with them. Accompany them during their morning walks and shopping.
• FULFILL THEIR WISHES : Grandparents would have made huge sacrifices in their lives. From being a parent and growing their children to becoming a grandparent to look after their grandchildren they have given up a lot. So let them live their life a bit. Ask them their dreams and wishes and try your best to make them true.
• DON’T ABANDON THEM : One of the most pain causing actions is abandoning our grandparents during their old age. When and how did all the love and caring for , turn into dislike and hatred. Why does their voice sound annoying all of a sudden? This is one big mistake that children and grandchildren tend to make. Instead they should look back and relish all the sweet moments and make a promise that they will never abandon and let their grandparents alone.
A close relationship between grandparents and grandchildren is the purest form relationship. The bond that they create becomes unbreakable. Nothing should alter the love between them. They should be ready to fight storms for each other.